City of Cockburn, PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC, Western Australia, 6965
Telephone: (08) 9411 3444

Contact Us:

Building Services
Ph: 08 9411 3444


web counter

What is unauthorised building work?

Under section 9 of the Building Act 2011 ('the Act'), it is an offence to commence building work unless a building permit is in place, or the proposed building work is exempt from such a requirement (contact the City's Building Services on 9411 3444 for more information).

Any building or structure that has been constructed, structurally altered or extended without a building permit obtained from the permit authority (i.e. the local government) is classed as an unauthorised structure.


What should I do if I have an unauthorised structure?

If you have done building work without prior approval, or purchased a property with unauthorised structure/s, you may be able to submit an application to obtain retrospective approval from the City.

For further details, please refer to the relevant building compliance information sheets below.


How does the City deal with unauthorised building work?

In most cases, the City is able to grant retrospective approval for unauthorised structures. However, if the unauthorised building / structure does not comply with the Building Code of Australia or relevant standards, the property owner might be requested to remove the structure.

It should be noted that in some instances, depending on the seriousness of the breach to the Act, the City may consider legal action which may include the issuance of a building order and/or referral to the City's solicitors for prosecution.


Building compliance information sheets