City of Cockburn, PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC, Western Australia, 6965
Telephone: (08) 9411 3444

WHICH BIN :  For the 2 Bin System

3 bin system - green, red, yellow lids

3 Bin System - READ MORE

Garden Waste Bins

3 Bin FAQs Info - READ MORE

Waste Services HOME

The City of Cockburn currently operates a 2 bin system for residential properties. This consists of a dark green top general waste bin and a yellow top recycling bin.

Residential properties over 400m2 will be receiving a new 3 bin system over the next few years. For information about the new 3 bin system, read our Frequently Asked Questions here.  

To find more information about what goes in each of the 3 Bins visit our 3 Bin System page.


Which bin do I put it in?


Click to view details of what goes in your yellow lidded bin


The contents of this bin are sent to the Materials Recovery Facility at the Regional Resource Recovery Centre where they are separated, baled and sent to be recycled.

Please rinse and empty containers.

Do not bag items - place them directly in the bin.

  • ALL plastics including cling wrap and plastic bags 
  • ALL glass
  • Plastic bottles (empty with lids off)
  • Steel and aluminium cans
  • Aerosols (empty)
  • Cardboard, paper, newspapers, magazines
  • Pizza boxes with food scraps scraped off 
  • Chip, lolly and pie wrappers
  • Aluminium foil

Green Top Bin


The contents of this bin are sent to the Waste Composting Facility at the Regional Resource Recovery Centre where they are converted to compost.

  • All garden waste including grass clippings, twigs, sticks and prunings
  • Food scraps
  • Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish & chips paper
  • Pet excrement 
  • Pet hair & fur
  • Nappies
  • Band-Aids
  • Soiled items
  • Shredded paper
  • Sanitary items
  • Cotton wool & cotton wool buds
  • Clothing that can not be sent to charity

Neither Bin

Some items should not be placed into either of your bins.

  • Batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges, light bulbs can all be dropped off at recycling points at libraries & shopping centres.
  • Spray paint & chemicals need to be taken to the Henderson Waste Recovery Park.
  • Good quality clothes can be taken to charity shops.  Otherwise use the green topped bin.