The City of Cockburn currently operates a 2 bin system for residential properties. This consists of a dark green top general waste bin and a yellow top recycling bin.
Residential properties over 400m2 will be receiving a new 3 bin system over the next few years. For information about the new 3 bin system, read our Frequently Asked Questions here.
What can I place in my LIME GREEN-LIDDED
garden waste bin?
All organic garden waste (anything that grew in your garden) including:
- Grass clippings
- Weeds (including noxious)
- Twigs & sticks
- Prunings, cuttings and trimmings
- Palm fronds
- Tree nuts
What can I place in my RED-LIDDED
food waste/general household waste bin?
- Food scraps
- Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish & chips paper
- Pet excrement
- Pet hair & fur
- Soiled items
- Shredded paper
- Sanitary items
- Cotton wool & cotton wool buds
Please rinse and empty containers. Please do not place items in bags - place them directly in the bin.
What can I place in my YELLOW-LIDDED
- ALL plastics including cling wrap and plastic bags
- ALL glass
- Plastic bottles (empty with lids off)
- Steel and aluminium cans
- Aerosols (empty)
- Cardboard, paper, newspapers, magazines
- Pizza boxes with food scraps scraped off
- Chip, lolly and pie wrappers
- Aluminium foil
Some items should not be placed into either of your bins.
Batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges, light bulbs can all be dropped off at recycling points at libraries & shopping centres.
Spray paint & chemicals need to be taken to the Henderson Waste Recovery Park.
Good quality clothes can be taken to charity shops. Otherwise use the green topped bin.